Guidelines for Songwriters
Judges will use the following criteria in evaluating your song submission:
- Political Effectiveness: Does this song portray an important social or political issue in a manner that inspires critical thought and/or progressive political action?
- Songwriting: Is this song musically and lyrically well-crafted?
- Timeliness: Is this song relevant to the topic of the month and is it relevant to social justice struggles addressing this issue today?
Benefits for Songwriters whose song is selected for Song of the Month
- $100 cash prize.
- Commitment from PMN and participating partner organizations to circulate the selected song in original recorded form and to encourage other musicians to sing it.
- Permanent placement of the song on the PMN Song of the Month online archive with
artist bio and link to artist’s web site.
Benefits for Songwriters that are not Selected:
Although the PMN Song of the Month will be awarded to only one songwriter per month, the JP may decide to promote more than just the top choice. Other songs that meet the submission criteria will be added to PMN’s existing web presence on soundcloud and youtube. Any honorable mentions will be included in the publicity.